top of page

Planning FAQs

We are constantly being asked similar questions regarding the planning process, which if you haven't been through before can seem daunting. This FAQ section offers an insight into the role that Feock Parish Council plays in the planning process. It also answers questions on meeting etiquette, accessing the Cornwall Council Online Planning Register, setting up planning alerts in your area, and general points on planning.

What is the Parish Council's role in the planning process?

Feock Parish Council is not the determining authority with regards to a planning application.

The local planning authority typically consults with several bodies before issuing a decision on a planning application. When applications are submitted within the Feock Parish, our council is one of these consultees. This means any recommendation made by Feock Parish Council is not final, and considered alongside other consultee comments, such as Members of the Public, The Tree Officer, The Environment Agency, The Highway Authority and Southwest Water etc. Once consultation has taken place, a planning committee at the local planning authority can delegate decisions to its officers.

Parish Councils can influence planning policies by stressing :

  • protection for the local environment

  • protection of special buildings, trees and hedges

  • promotion of economic interests

  • promotion of environmental projects

  • whether actual need for housing, industrial, retail or agriculture development

  • whether appropriate design for development

How often do the Feock PC's Planning Committee meet?

The Feock Parish Council’s Planning Committee typically meet monthly or bi-monthly, depending on the number of applications they are to be consulted on. For information on our next meeting please see our calendar.

Who is on the Feock PC Planning Committee?

The Planning Committee is currently made up of 8 members, with at least 4 required to make up the quorum. For multi-dwelling applications, the proposal is discussed at the full parish council meeting. The current members of the planning committee are:

  • Cllr Cathy Kemp, Vice Chair, Carnon Downs Ward

  • Cllr Phil Allen, Carnon Downs Ward

  • Cllr Sue Cooper, Devoran Ward

  • Cllr Richard Brickell, Feock ward

You can get in touch with our councillors on our dedicated planning page.

May I speak during a planning meeting?

Members of the public have the right to speak at meetings of the Planning Committee in the public session before the consideration of planning applications.

The purpose of the right to speak is to give members of the public the opportunity to make their views known directly to the Committee. We would encourage members of the public to write to the Parish Council, in addition to speaking, and express their opinions on the Cornwall Council Planning website.

Please see our Full Policy for Public Speaking at Planning Committee Meetings.

What happens after the Parish Council have been consulted?

After the statutory consultations, which includes the consultation with Feock Parish Council, the Local Planning Authority will make and publish a decision. This is usually within 8 weeks of an application being submitted.

Most decisions will be reached by Planning Officers under “delegated powers”, however certain applications will be decided by the Cornwall Council Planning Committee.

Where can I find the minutes of previous planning meetings?

The minutes of all our Planning Committee Meetings, since May 2013, are available on our website. Earlier minutes are available on request. The minutes provide an account of the discussions that were undertaken at the meeting, and any decisions reached.

Feock PC Planning Committee Minutes

How can I access the Cornwall Council Planning Register?

The Cornwall Council Online Registry is found online, at:

What is included on the Planning Register?

You can use the online planning register to search for, view and comment on current planning applications. It also allows you to view supporting plans and documents.

Applications that are withdrawn are no longer available to view and applications found to be invalid after registration will be removed from the website until the information required is received.

You can request email notifications for applications in your area or other applications you are interested in.  These will alert you as the applications progress through the planning system.

How do I comment on a Planning application?

You can comment to support or object to any application that's currently open for consultation. Search for applications using the application number or part of the address. You will need to create an account as comments can not be left anonymously.

There's more on how the process works, what is suitable to include in comments when they can be submitted, and the grounds for objection on the Cornwall Council how to respond to planning applications page.

You can also view their help for commenting on a planning application video for detailed instructions.

How can I set up planning alerts?

To set up planning alerts for your immediate area first create a Cornwall Council planning account (this will also allow you to comment on applications). To do this, follow the link at:

Register - Cornwall Council

Having done this, go to the Cornwall Council Planning Portal at :

Simple Search (

From here put your postcode, (or the postcode of interest) into the search bar at the bottom of the page. Only put in the first 5 digits (i.e. TR3 6P) then search.

Having done this, click the save search icon. From here you are then able to set up notifications for new planning applications in your area.

When is planning permission required?

Due to the ever changing nature of Planning Law we advise that for comprehensive and up-to-date information on Planning Regulations visit The Planning Portal.

What is the difference between outline and full planning permission?

An application for full planning permission results in a decision on the detailed proposals of how a site can be developed. In order to proceed applications require full planning permission.

An application for outline planning permission allows for a decision on the general principles of how a site can be developed. Outline planning permission is granted subject to the subsequent approval of one or more ‘reserved matters’. Reserved matters are those aspects of a proposed development which an applicant can choose not to submit with an outline planning application, and instead submit later with a full planning application. These are defined as access, appearance, landscaping layout and scale.

Outline planning permission is typically used in larger developments where the applicant wants to gauge the suitability of development, and is not a requirement to obtain full planning permission.

Can I appeal a planning decision?

If a planning application is turned down by Cornwall Council the applicant has a right to appeal the decision.  An appeal should only ever be a last resort; Cornwall Council successfully defends an average of 70% of the appeals received, therefore applicants are encouraged to contact Cornwall Council in the first instance in an attempt to overcome the grounds for refusal as an amended scheme may be achieved which could avoid an unnecessary appeal, saving you time and money.

Appeals can be made at the via the central government portal at:

Where can I get a copy of the adopted Feock Neighbourhood Development Plan?

You can download a copy here or request a hard copy from the Parish Council Offices. 

If your question hasn't been answered please get in contact so we can assist you further.

bottom of page